Dec 13, 2007

My love affair with Nutella and Crème de marrons

While everyone was eating peanut butter and jam, I was relishing on my personal favourite combination: nutella and crème de marrons (sweetened chestnut cream). Go back probably 10-12 years ago, packed lunches or 4PM milk and snack time and you would have seen one same thing in my hands under grinning eyes just waiting to be eaten: nutella and crème de marrons spread on a crepe, cake, biscuits, bread… or just devoured off a spoon.

Today, I still love the delicious combo just as much. I mean, Nutella is great, but it’s just not the same with that chestnut delight. Even if it means multiplying calories x 2, but it is SO WORTH IT! Oh baby, I can hear my stomach growling as I write these words! Help!

So not too long ago, I decided to use both ingredients in a new way. Nothing too sophisticated- just something simple to remind me of my childhood. Crème de marrons sandwiched in between a Nutella cake. Basically, instead of using, for example, chocolate in a cake batter, I used Nutella instead. Once baked, and then left to cool, I slice it horizontally, and start spreading a thick layer of crème de marrons and stick both slices back together. Something very easy to make, as you will see in the recipe at the end of this post!

The funny chestnut guy on the crème de marrons packaging :-)
But whatever your tastebud mood may be, remember

1 (Nutella) + 1 (crème de marrons) = infinity

…because the combinations are trully limitless !

Recipe for Nutella & Crème de Marrons cake:

Ingredients:

  • 50gr Nutella
  • 50gr Butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 60 gr sugar
  • 60 gr flour
  • Baking powder
  • A jar of crème de marrons

How to make it:

  1. Preheat oven to th5
  2. Melt the butter. Then add the nutella on top and mix well until they “form one”. Set aside
  3. In a bowl, add the eggs and sugar, and whisk together.
  4. Then add the nutella/butter combination. Mix well.
  5. Follow with the flour and baking powder. Mix the batter well.
  6. Place batter in cake mould and bake in oven for 30 mins
  7. When ready, take out and let cool. Slice cake horizontally, and spread the crème de marrons on one of the cake “slices”. Stick both slices back together. Sprinkle with bitter cocoa if you wish.

6 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Anything with Nutella has my full attention!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Hey Marianna , this definately looks and sounds irresistible. Nutella is a all time favourite.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

YUM!

Fellow Nutella lover here wondering if you would be interested in celebrating World Nutella Day on February 5th?

Read more about World Nutella Day here.

Tell your readers, tell your friends, and let's coat the world in a big ole layer of chocolate hazelnut goodness ;)

Jessica said...

Hi Marianna,

I am from Evian, you probably know where it is since you studied in Lausanne, I live in Montreal, and I have no idea how to use baking powder.
Can you tell me how much to put in the recipe ?
Thanks

Marianna said...

Hi Jessica, thanks for your comment! Do you have any levure chimique? You can use that to substitute for baking powder- that is what I was using when I lived in France :)

Marianna said...

Oh and I forgot- for this amount you can use 1/2 teaspoon of levure chimique!