Apr 28, 2008

Mirabelle Plum Crumble

I had been in Dubai recently and brought some cardamom from there. It’s been almost a month now that I keep telling myself that I need to use it in my cooking…but for some reason haven’t been motivated. The other day however as I was doing some food shopping, some Mirabelle Plums captured my attention. Their glowing yellow colour and round form looked like miniature suns, and they seemed to go so well with the beautiful sunny weather that we’ve been having these last few days. So my purchase decision was made in less then a second, and back home I was wondering what to do with these plums now. As usual, I buy stuff without really knowing what I want to do with it, and it’s only once I’ve paid that my brain starts thinking. You can say that I am very much of a spontaneous or impulsive shopper!

Above: Cardamon

Then I remember the cardamom, and I remember some other ingredients lying around the house too- pistachios, sesame oil, ricotta… And so I thought to myself that a fruit crumble would be a great way to finish a meaty dish (veal to be precise, I will post about it soon). I could not imagine a gooey rich chocolate type delicacy after a satisfying meat dish, so it was 1-0 for the crumble.

Above: Mirabelle Plums

It is rare that I go for “simple”, but this time it was really what I was craving for, so a crumble was perfect, but nonetheless I did not want to just make a regular apple crumble or what not. I think I was inspired by Mediterranean ingredients, which explains the ricotta and medley of pistachios, cardamom and sesame oil. It’s the first time I use cardamom in a crumble, and all I can say is that I have absolutely no regret- it’s now my new fetish ingredient!

Recipe for Mirabelle Plum Crumble with Cardamon & Pistachio:
(Note: I am not indicating exact measures here sorry, I don't really measure when making crumbles!)
Ingredients:
  • Mirabelle Plums, seeds removed.
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Butter
  • Sesame oil
  • Pistachios, crushed
  • Cardamon, ground (count a generous teaspoon for 4 servings)
  • Ricotta (optional)

How to make it:

Preheat oven. In a bowl, mix plums with some crushed pistachios (and sugar, optional. I personally don't like my crumble too sweet). In your crumble containers/pots, fill about 3/4 with the mirabelle plums. In a seperate bowl, mix flour, sugar, cardamon, butter (use less butter then you usually would) and sesame oil (which will add a really distinctive taste to the crumble). With your hands, mix until it becomes crumby, and top this off on the fruits. Bake in oven for about 15/20 minutes, and then put under grill for a golden colour. Serve with a cloud of ricotta (optional).

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Marianna! I love the crumble with the use of the Mirabelle plums and the cardamon. Cardamon is so aromatic! Beautiful presentation as always.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Marianna, your photos always make my jaw drop. That is a beautiful load of cardamom!
That crumble looks divine.

Anonymous said...

i love cardamom, and i have been trying to use it more often in my cooking.

those plums look delicious, i want to pop the whole pile into my mouth one by one! i've never had a mirabelle, but will make a point of trying to find one this summer.

Nina Timm said...

I have awarded you with an E Award and I know that I did not make a mistake. This crumble made my resistance crumble.

Anna's kitchen table said...

What an amazing blog Marianna! I will definitely be back to visit and read more!
Thank you for commenting on my blog!
:-)

Andreea said...

this must have been an amazing crumble. so glad to have discovered your blog :) wonderful