Jun 8, 2008

FIG & ROSEWATER ICE-CREAM WITH CRUSHED PISTACHIOS & DARK CHOCOLATE

Guys, I am still on a sugar-high...and I did ice-cream, again! This time I played around with one of my favourite ingredient combinations ever: figs, rose water, pistachio and dark chocolate. I’ve used these flavours before in other pastries, such as the sablés I posted about way back when I first started blogging. Figs and rosewater are like a match made in heaven (and I am so happy that figs are finally in season now!) They complement each other so perfectly, and although I could enjoy the duo on it’s own, I just feel that throwing in an explosion of crushed pistachio and dark chocolate does something to the taste and adds some wonderful colour visually.

To be honest, initially I really wanted to make a milk chocolate & lavender ice-cream… but as much as I love lavender, I’m not as excited to use lavender these days... I think I’ve experimented enough with it when the purple wave hit us all a while back invading our kitchen closets, perfuming our recipes and entertaining our tastebuds.
So it is with no regret that I ditched one flowering plant (lavender) for another (rose), especially when I enjoyed it outside in the garden surrounded by a view of colourful blossoming roses and realizing that as I was looking at them, I was tasting them too.

Recipe for Fig & Rosewater ice-cream with crushed Pistachios & Dark Chocolate:

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
125gr sugar
300ml low fat milk
200ml liquid cream
Figs (peeled)
2 tablespoons rose water
Crushed pistachios
Dark chocolate chips (70%)

How to make it:
Mix the egg yolks, peeled figs and sugar in a bowl. In a pot, bring the milk, cream, and rosewater to boil. Pour the boiling milk mixture over the cold mixture (eggs + sugar) while stirring. Return to heat and continue to stir until the cream starts to thicken. This stage of cooking is known as “la nappe” which is achieved between 82-85C. If the cream is not heated sufficiently, the ice-cream will be thin and watery. Remove the pot from the heat and stop the cooking process by place it in cold water mixed with ice cubes. Transfer the mixture to your ice-cream machine. Add the crushed pistachios and dark chocolate chips before churning. Follow manufacturers’ instructions and enjoy ice-cream on the same day, fresh and tasty!

*Remember: you can always replace the eggs with gelatine, pectin or agar-agar.

Bookmark and Share


*I'm also submiting this recipe to Mike's super event You Scream, I Scream, We all Scream for Frozen Desserts! I'm generally screaming frozen desserts all year long, but it's always a bit louder in the summer!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds fantastic. What a creative combo of flavours!

Nina Timm said...

Waaahhhhh!!!!!Where do you find these fantastic flavors???If you think them up yourself, I am not worthy of even attempting making an ice-cream!!!It is soooobeautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

I have no kitchen storage space left, but thanks to you I'll probably have to buy an ice cream maker. Drat you, Marianna!

Rachel said...

This looks lovely!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Another great combination of ingredients in your ice cream making adventures Marianna! The flavours sound like they really belong together.

Peter M said...

Marianna, you're killing me with these Mediterranean flavours...make me want to head Europe way now!

Anonymous said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

This is my kind of recipe! I have been craving a good ice cream like this!

STYLE AND THE CITY . COM - PARIS said...

miam miam

can you teleport that so succulent ice creams !
i can't wait !

i forget all my diet right now !
and i will compell my futur woman to check your blog ! hé

cheers from Paris

Kamel
STYLE AND THE CITY - PARIS

Anonymous said...

I love how this looks! I haven't had ice cream in so long.

Patricia Scarpin said...

You always use the most sophisticated flavors, Marianna! And I want this, even though it's fall here in Brazil!

test it comm said...

What an amazing combination of flavours for an ice cream!

Jo said...

Amazing flavours ... makes me want to rush out and buy an ice-cream machine!

Mónica Pinto said...

With the hot days,finally arriving here in Portugal, i would love to eat this exótic ice cream.

Peabody said...

What rich and wonderful flavors in the ice cream.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

oh wow... this is completely up my alley... love it marianna!

Katie said...

Absolutely Beautiful Pictures.

Helene said...

Absoultely lovely! I love figs and cardamom together and could not think of a better way to have them!

Anonymous said...

I can't tell which is more appealing to me - the ice cream or your photo! The dish looks delicious, combining some of my favorite flavors with figs.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'd like to feature this recipe in a post on Slashfood, with a link and a pic. May I? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ohmygoodness. Fig AND chocolate AND rose water AND pistachios? Sign me up. I am amazed at your creativity (and palate!) Thank you for providing the recipe!!

Dee said...

I love the combination of flavours, exotic but not intimidating. The photos are just as stunning too :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome photography and recipes on your blog. This combination of flavorings is very unique to me.

Sobremesa said...

Hi Marianna, I am very enthusiastic about trying this, but I have a problem and maybe you could help me. I've Googled it every way I can think of and can't find a solution already written. Where I am, there is only rose essence, and I tried to use a tiny bit of that instead of two tablespoons, and it didn't work out too well. One person that tried it said it tasted like soap and another described it as tasting the way his grandmother's house smelled. So you know how to convert rose essence into rose water? Everyone I ask gives me a blank look. Since the essence was expensive here I feel committed and have to find a solution. I really appreciate your time! Thanks, Alex

Marianna said...

Hi Alex, thx a lot for your comment! Unfortunately I dont know how to convert rose essence into rose water... and I dont think it can be done in the first place. I believe what you have - the essence- is much more concentrated and powerful then the water, so in that case 2 or 3 drops of essence would be sufficient! Did your essence come in a very small bottle by any chance? I suggest if you try this recipe again, add the essence drop by drop and taste for yourself as you do that. That is the best recommendation I can give, good luck!!

Marianna said...

also alex, now that i read your comment again, yes i am pretty sure the issue is simply that the essence should be used DROP by DROP, and not in spoonfulls! you tell me the essence was expensive, and thats why its used drop by drop. rose water is never too pricey and comes in big bottles!

Sobremesa said...

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I'll let you know what happens. Yes, it came in a small bottle. Other people have told me they used to know where to get rose water and it tasted wonderful, unlike what I have.

putra said...

i like your recipe, thanks for share.